Internship: Research Lithium Super Capacitor (LIC)
SODAQ started out in 2013 developing and deploying weather stations across Africa. The necessity to transmit sensor data from remote locations produced one of the first global Internet of Things (IoT) development boards. From the start, SODAQ’s has focused on low-power, sustainable technology, and has experienced significant growth thanks to its high degree of innovation. SODAQ’s products and service offerings have diversified into solutions for a wide range of applications for a variety of industries. The IoT solutions developed to make it possible for companies to automate data collection in a sustainable and reliable way.
SODAQ continues to grow and has set itself the goal of becoming the global market leader in the field of “low-power” sensing and tracking”.
We want to accelerate the market introduction of Lithium-Ion Capacitor (LIC) in combination with energy harvesting technologies such as solar power. The internship position aims to find out the best available LIC and solar cell technology that are suitable for IoT devices for low power operations. The work consists of hands-on experience, data collection, analysis as well as modeling and validation.
- Researching the best available LIC’s and Solar cells out there
- Testing the electrical performance under various predefined test conditions and comparing the results for future use
- Creating basic test setups with current devices under development to see the performance of the benchmarked panels and LICs in the field
- Reliability testing including accelerated aging test, outdoor test, and circuit design
- Energy yield calculation including prototyping and testing
- Finally, prepare a model that can predict the best Solar panel and LIC that can be used for a use case based on the power requirements.
WHAT DO WE REQUIRE OF YOU?
- The duration of this project would be ideally 6-9 months, preferably in the MSc phase of your study (mention this in your application). A graduation thesis can also be formulated.
- A background in physics, electronics, or electrical engineering
- Has experience working with electronics lab equipment such as multi-meters, soldering, digital oscilloscope
- Has experience working with embedded devices like Arduino, Esp32 etc.
- Interest in the energy transition and sustainability
- High motivation, with a curious nature and a taste for problem-solving
- Ability to work autonomously within a small team and good social skills to get the information you need from the most knowledgeable people around you
- Good communication (in English)
- You need to be affiliated with a university for eligibility
What we offer
SODAQ creates Low powered IOT devices that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. We work for a variety of customers: startups, companies, government and non-governmental organisations. An internship where you work with an enthusiastic team of engineers with diverse backgrounds. We provide guidance at each step and ensure that you are something new everyday.
- Work from home opportunities
Contract length: 6-9 months
Job Types: Full-time, Internship
- Solar energy and batteries: 1 year (Preferred)
- Electronics Lab work: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)